User perceptions of the benefits and harms of hallucinogenic drug use: A web-based questionnaire study
This study used a web-based questionnaire to investigate user perceptions of the benefits and harms of hallucinogenic drug use. Over 600 forms were submitted. Users were asked to comment on the acute and prolonged effects of different drugs and to provide more specific information on how particular drugs have harmed and/or helped them.
Subjects reported relatively less harm associated with the classic hallucinogens, LSD and psilocybin, than other drugs specifically focused on in the questionnaire (MDMA, cannabis, ketamine and alcohol). A wide-range of benefits was reported, including: help with mood disorders, addictions and migraine as well as more general long-term improvements in wellbeing. Symptoms of hallucinogen persisting perceptual disorder were reported by a number of subjects and these were most closely associated with use of LSD; however, few users regarded these effects as troubling.
Eighty-one per cent of users reported having had a ‘spiritual experience’ on a hallucinogenic drug and over 90% considered ‘access to the unconscious mind’ to be a specific property of the classic hallucinogens. With caution, these findings support recent calls for a systematic investigation of the therapeutic potential of the classic hallucinogens and highlight the scope for empirical investigations of spiritual and psychodynamic phenomena.
Our videos describing different aspects of what we do.
Can Magic Mushrooms Unlock Depression? | Rosalind Watts | TEDxOxford
Can Magic Mushrooms treat depression?- Robin Carhart-Harris at New Scientist Live 2017
Robin Carhart-Harris - Psychedelic drugs in science and medicine
Psychedelics: Lifting the veil | Robin Carhart-Harris | TEDxWarwick
Mendel Kaelen: Psychological & Neurophysiological Effects of Music in Combination with Psychedelics
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers I'm Karl a 40.yr Old Male who's Depressed & got Anxiety who also would like 2 try Philosybin Treatment as I don't believe in the treatment available @ the moment
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hello, I am 63 years old and am struggling with severe depression. I used many psycedelics during my teens and well into my 20s. Actually used LSD as a method of marriage communication. It was very helpful. Now 35-40 years later and nothing helps thi…
- on Help us treat depression! Hi. I would very much like to participate in a trial. I'm 49 and have suffered most of my life with anxiety and depression. I'm currently on dual reuptake inhibitors but they have limited effect for me. I've tried many, many things over the years to…
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hello everyone I'm on antidepressant from couple of years and I try many different types. Right now I have worst time ever. I try mushrooms which one found my self on last season 2016. I have found but that was very difficult for me. I go nearly ever…
- on Help us treat depression! I would be very interested to hear about your research on your use of psychedelics , I would be very interested if you are looking for new volunteers for further trials , I am 50 years old and I have suffered with depression for 25 years and have fou…
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hi, I have read your articles and I am currently on anti depressants. I have tried different kinds as I have mild PTSD from military service and suffer from depression constantly. I would very much like to assist and be a volunteer for future trials.
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hello, I’m am 43 year old male living in oxford and suffered from depression and anxiety for 20 some years and I am a chronic suffer. I am very interested in participating on this type of drug trial. In my 20’s I have picked my own mushrooms once or…
- on Are you having a psychedelic experience in the near future? Hi All, I suffer from depression and anxiety and have done so for many years. After being placed on anti-depressants (again), I had a very bad response and the side effects of increased suicidal thoughts became unbearable. It was an everyday battle o…