Neural correlates of the psychedelic state as determined by fMRI studies with psilocybin
Psychedelic drugs have a long history of use in healing ceremonies, but despite renewed interest in their therapeutic potential, we continue to know very little about how they work in the brain. Here we used psilocybin, a classic psychedelic found in magic mushrooms, and a task-free functional MRI (fMRI) protocol designed to capture the transition from normal waking consciousness to the psychedelic state.
Arterial spin labeling perfusion and blood-oxygen level- dependent (BOLD) fMRI were used to map cerebral blood fl ow and changes in venous oxygenation before and after intravenous infusions of placebo and psilocybin.
Fifteen healthy volunteers were scanned with arterial spin labeling and a separate 15 with BOLD. As predicted, profound changes in consciousness were observed after psilocybin, but surprisingly, only decreases in cerebral blood flow and BOLD signal were seen, and these were maximal in hub regions, such as the thalamus and anterior and posterior cingulate cortex (ACC and PCC).
Decreased activity in the ACC/medial prefrontal cortex (mPFC) was a consistent finding and the magnitude of this decrease predicted the intensity of the subjective effects. Based on these results, a seed-based pharmaco-physiological interaction/ functional connectivity analysis was performed using a medial prefrontal seed. Psilocybin caused a significant decrease in the positive coupling between the mPFC and PCC.
These results strongly imply that the subjective effects of psychedelic drugs are caused by decreased activity and connectivity in the brains key connector hubs, enabling a state of unconstrained cognition.
Our videos describing different aspects of what we do.
Mendel Kaelen 29th June 2016
EXCLUSIVE: Could magic mushrooms treat depression? BBC Newsnight
Can Magic Mushrooms treat depression?- Robin Carhart-Harris at New Scientist Live 2017
Psychedelics: Lifting the veil | Robin Carhart-Harris | TEDxWarwick
Robin Carhart Harris 20th July 2016
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers I'm Karl a 40.yr Old Male who's Depressed & got Anxiety who also would like 2 try Philosybin Treatment as I don't believe in the treatment available @ the moment
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hello, I am 63 years old and am struggling with severe depression. I used many psycedelics during my teens and well into my 20s. Actually used LSD as a method of marriage communication. It was very helpful. Now 35-40 years later and nothing helps thi…
- on Help us treat depression! Hi. I would very much like to participate in a trial. I'm 49 and have suffered most of my life with anxiety and depression. I'm currently on dual reuptake inhibitors but they have limited effect for me. I've tried many, many things over the years to…
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hello everyone I'm on antidepressant from couple of years and I try many different types. Right now I have worst time ever. I try mushrooms which one found my self on last season 2016. I have found but that was very difficult for me. I go nearly ever…
- on Help us treat depression! I would be very interested to hear about your research on your use of psychedelics , I would be very interested if you are looking for new volunteers for further trials , I am 50 years old and I have suffered with depression for 25 years and have fou…
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hi, I have read your articles and I am currently on anti depressants. I have tried different kinds as I have mild PTSD from military service and suffer from depression constantly. I would very much like to assist and be a volunteer for future trials.
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hello, I’m am 43 year old male living in oxford and suffered from depression and anxiety for 20 some years and I am a chronic suffer. I am very interested in participating on this type of drug trial. In my 20’s I have picked my own mushrooms once or…
- on Are you having a psychedelic experience in the near future? Hi All, I suffer from depression and anxiety and have done so for many years. After being placed on anti-depressants (again), I had a very bad response and the side effects of increased suicidal thoughts became unbearable. It was an everyday battle o…