Waves of the Unconscious: The Neurophysiology of Dreamlike Phenomena and Its Implications for the Psychodynamic Model of the Mind
This paper reviews scientific literature on four subjective states: the dream state, the dreamy state of temporal lobe epilepsy and temporal lobe stimulation, the acute psychotic state, and the psychedelic state.
Evidence is cited showing that underlying the emergence of dreamlike phenomena in all four states is the occurrence of high-voltage bursts of theta and slow-wave activity (2–8 Hz) in the medial temporal lobes. The medial temporal regions are recognized to play an important role in memory and emotion. In the dream state, medial temporal lobe bursts are tightly correlated with PGO waves.
It has been widely speculated that PGO waves are direct neuro-physiological correlates of dreaming. On a phenomenological level, the dream state, the dreamy state, the acute psychotic state, and the psychedelic state have all been viewed as conducive to the emergence of unconscious material into consciousness.
An argument is made that bursts of electrical activity spreading from the medial temporal lobes to the association cortices are the primary functional correlate of discharging psychical energies, experienced on a subjective level as the emergence of unconscious material into consciousness. The implications of these findings for the scientific legitimacy of the psychodynamic model are discussed.
How Do Psychedelic Drugs Work On The Brain? (Full Lecture)
Robin Carhart-Harris - Psychedelic drugs in science and medicine
Comeback of psychedelics in science and medicine: Robin Carhart Harris
Mendel Kaelen: Psychological & Neurophysiological Effects of Music in Combination with Psychedelics
Mendel Kaelen 29th June 2016
- on Help us treat depression! I would be very interested to hear about your research on your use of psychedelics , I would be very interested if you are looking for new volunteers for further trials , I am 50 years old and I have suffered with depression for 25 years and have fou…
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hi, I have read your articles and I am currently on anti depressants. I have tried different kinds as I have mild PTSD from military service and suffer from depression constantly. I would very much like to assist and be a volunteer for future trials.
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hello, I’m am 43 year old male living in oxford and suffered from depression and anxiety for 20 some years and I am a chronic suffer. I am very interested in participating on this type of drug trial. In my 20’s I have picked my own mushrooms once or…
- on Are you having a psychedelic experience in the near future? Hi All, I suffer from depression and anxiety and have done so for many years. After being placed on anti-depressants (again), I had a very bad response and the side effects of increased suicidal thoughts became unbearable. It was an everyday battle o…
- on Help us treat depression! Hello, I am wondering if you have completed your research into the use of psychedelics to aid with depression. I suffer with it myself and want to know if you are still looking for volunteers? I am currently 20 years old, turning 21 in September. I a…
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hi Drew Thanks for sharing. What was your method?
- on Help us treat depression! These mushrooms have powers beyond the understanding of the modern world that have been lost in translation since the dawn of man . I've used them and felt drawn to them and felt it was a calling . I collected them myself for 15 years ate them , drie…
- on Are you having a psychedelic experience in the near future? My name is Garry.I have been using LSD (truffles)every day for the last fortnight.I have bi;polar disorder,and asbergers.I have several different thoughts on what im doing,and why,the hell i have to do it illegally.Right now,i have to start work,so d…