A web-based survey on mephedrone
Mephedrone (4-methylmethcathinone) is a substituted cathinone with stimulant properties. The popularity of mephedrone in the UK rose sharply in 2009 after it became seen as a legal, cheap and easily available alternative to MDMA (ecstasy). Adverse events associated with its use, including a series of alleged deaths, attracted media attention and the hastening of a government report (ACMD, 2010). Mephedrone was made Class B in April 2010, largely on the basis that it shares similar properties to amphetamines, most of which are Class B. The present study sought to collect informa- tion on various aspects of mephedrone use via a web-based survey targeted at mephedrone users. An extensive web-based survey on mephedrone has been carried out before (Winstock et al., 2011) but because the present survey opened shortly after the ban, its results extend current knowledge by providing information on the opinions and behaviours of mephedrone users during this period.
This study was approved by the Imperial College Research Ethics Commit- tee. The survey was built using Bristol Online Survey (http://www.survey.bris.ac.uk), a web survey development service. The survey can be viewed at the follow- ing address (http://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/iscd/mephedrone). The survey was formally advertised on the websites: http://www.bluelight.org, http://www.drugs-forum.com and http://www.drugscience.org.uk. It was entirely anonymous, took 20–30 min to complete, and featured 56 questions requiring both restricted/categorical and open responses. Completion of every question was mandatory. Subjects were informed that they should only complete the survey if they had taken mephedrone on at least one occasion in the past. The first forms were received on 17th May 2010 and the last forms on 21st September 2010. The survey questions addressed a broad range of issues, from parameters specific to mephedrone use to the perceived harms of other drugs. This report focuses on the questions that were specific to mephedrone.
Basic and demographic data One thousand, five hundred and six completed forms were received. All respondents declared that they had taken mephedrone at least once. Most had heard about the survey through www.drugs-forum.com or www.bluelight.org. Eighty four percent of respondents were male and 80% percent lived in Britain. Their mean age was 26 (SD = 9, range 10–73).
Our videos describing different aspects of what we do.
Can Magic Mushrooms Unlock Depression? | Rosalind Watts | TEDxOxford
Comeback of psychedelics in science and medicine: Robin Carhart Harris
How Do Psychedelic Drugs Work On The Brain? (Full Lecture)
EXCLUSIVE: Could magic mushrooms treat depression? BBC Newsnight
Can Magic Mushrooms treat depression?- Robin Carhart-Harris at New Scientist Live 2017
- on Help us treat depression! Hi. I would very much like to participate in a trial. I'm 49 and have suffered most of my life with anxiety and depression. I'm currently on dual reuptake inhibitors but they have limited effect for me. I've tried many, many things over the years to…
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hello everyone I'm on antidepressant from couple of years and I try many different types. Right now I have worst time ever. I try mushrooms which one found my self on last season 2016. I have found but that was very difficult for me. I go nearly ever…
- on Help us treat depression! I would be very interested to hear about your research on your use of psychedelics , I would be very interested if you are looking for new volunteers for further trials , I am 50 years old and I have suffered with depression for 25 years and have fou…
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hi, I have read your articles and I am currently on anti depressants. I have tried different kinds as I have mild PTSD from military service and suffer from depression constantly. I would very much like to assist and be a volunteer for future trials.
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hello, I’m am 43 year old male living in oxford and suffered from depression and anxiety for 20 some years and I am a chronic suffer. I am very interested in participating on this type of drug trial. In my 20’s I have picked my own mushrooms once or…
- on Are you having a psychedelic experience in the near future? Hi All, I suffer from depression and anxiety and have done so for many years. After being placed on anti-depressants (again), I had a very bad response and the side effects of increased suicidal thoughts became unbearable. It was an everyday battle o…
- on Help us treat depression! Hello, I am wondering if you have completed your research into the use of psychedelics to aid with depression. I suffer with it myself and want to know if you are still looking for volunteers? I am currently 20 years old, turning 21 in September. I a…
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hi Drew Thanks for sharing. What was your method?