A web-based survey on mephedrone
Mephedrone (4-methylmethcathinone) is a substituted cathinone with stimulant properties. The popularity of mephedrone in the UK rose sharply in 2009 after it became seen as a legal, cheap and easily available alternative to MDMA (ecstasy). Adverse events associated with its use, including a series of alleged deaths, attracted media attention and the hastening of a government report (ACMD, 2010). Mephedrone was made Class B in April 2010, largely on the basis that it shares similar properties to amphetamines, most of which are Class B. The present study sought to collect informa- tion on various aspects of mephedrone use via a web-based survey targeted at mephedrone users. An extensive web-based survey on mephedrone has been carried out before (Winstock et al., 2011) but because the present survey opened shortly after the ban, its results extend current knowledge by providing information on the opinions and behaviours of mephedrone users during this period.
This study was approved by the Imperial College Research Ethics Commit- tee. The survey was built using Bristol Online Survey (http://www.survey.bris.ac.uk), a web survey development service. The survey can be viewed at the follow- ing address (http://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/iscd/mephedrone). The survey was formally advertised on the websites: http://www.bluelight.org, http://www.drugs-forum.com and http://www.drugscience.org.uk. It was entirely anonymous, took 20–30 min to complete, and featured 56 questions requiring both restricted/categorical and open responses. Completion of every question was mandatory. Subjects were informed that they should only complete the survey if they had taken mephedrone on at least one occasion in the past. The first forms were received on 17th May 2010 and the last forms on 21st September 2010. The survey questions addressed a broad range of issues, from parameters specific to mephedrone use to the perceived harms of other drugs. This report focuses on the questions that were specific to mephedrone.
Basic and demographic data One thousand, five hundred and six completed forms were received. All respondents declared that they had taken mephedrone at least once. Most had heard about the survey through www.drugs-forum.com or www.bluelight.org. Eighty four percent of respondents were male and 80% percent lived in Britain. Their mean age was 26 (SD = 9, range 10–73).
Can Magic Mushrooms treat depression?- Robin Carhart-Harris at New Scientist Live 2017
Mendel Kaelen: Psychological & Neurophysiological Effects of Music in Combination with Psychedelics
Comeback of psychedelics in science and medicine: Robin Carhart Harris
Can Magic Mushrooms Unlock Depression? | Rosalind Watts | TEDxOxford
Psychedelics: Lifting the veil | Robin Carhart-Harris | TEDxWarwick
- on Help us treat depression! I would be very interested to hear about your research on your use of psychedelics , I would be very interested if you are looking for new volunteers for further trials , I am 50 years old and I have suffered with depression for 25 years and have fou…
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hi, I have read your articles and I am currently on anti depressants. I have tried different kinds as I have mild PTSD from military service and suffer from depression constantly. I would very much like to assist and be a volunteer for future trials.
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hello, I’m am 43 year old male living in oxford and suffered from depression and anxiety for 20 some years and I am a chronic suffer. I am very interested in participating on this type of drug trial. In my 20’s I have picked my own mushrooms once or…
- on Are you having a psychedelic experience in the near future? Hi All, I suffer from depression and anxiety and have done so for many years. After being placed on anti-depressants (again), I had a very bad response and the side effects of increased suicidal thoughts became unbearable. It was an everyday battle o…
- on Help us treat depression! Hello, I am wondering if you have completed your research into the use of psychedelics to aid with depression. I suffer with it myself and want to know if you are still looking for volunteers? I am currently 20 years old, turning 21 in September. I a…
- on The administration of psilocybin to healthy hallucinogen experienced volunteers Hi Drew Thanks for sharing. What was your method?
- on Help us treat depression! These mushrooms have powers beyond the understanding of the modern world that have been lost in translation since the dawn of man . I've used them and felt drawn to them and felt it was a calling . I collected them myself for 15 years ate them , drie…
- on Are you having a psychedelic experience in the near future? My name is Garry.I have been using LSD (truffles)every day for the last fortnight.I have bi;polar disorder,and asbergers.I have several different thoughts on what im doing,and why,the hell i have to do it illegally.Right now,i have to start work,so d…